Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy "Baba" Free Day to You!



Brad and I have been wracking our brains to try to come up with some sneaky scam to rid the kids of their "babas" (pacifiers.) I think I heard on Dr. Phil, or some equally goofy program, that you should have a family member pose as your kid's favorite superhero and then call them in efforts to convince them that babas are so not cool. After your child agrees, you put the baba in a box and mail it to a child in need and then throw your kid a party (I may be a little off on the details of this method.)

Anyway, we tweaked it a bit and just skipped to the party part. We told them that if they could be "BIG KIDS" and not sleep with their babas, then we would throw them a party. Madi was on board and she became this immediate party-planner. Brad and I were thinking like cupcakes and a big hug but she had another idea. It turned into decorations, party hats, a cake with candles, and a gift for each of them. She really wanted to help make the cake so I went all out and let her pick out her favorite flavor of box cake mix. No problem except that the directions were only in german, french, italian, dutch and every other language but english. The directions looked abnormally long and convoluted so I got on freetranslation.com and hoped for the best. Well it completely bombed! While she was taking a nap, I went and bought a couple of refrigerated pieces at the store and tried to pass it off as the cake that we made. Although it was way fancier and looked nothing like ours, she ate it with pride. (Lucky for me, this is the same child who was convinced that my dad, with a Santa hat and cotton balls glued to his face, was the real thing!).

In the end, we are proud to say that they are both BABA FREE with little to no drama! Thanks Dr. Phil :D

Notice the bag of babas on the table: They were thrown in the garbage BEFORE the festivities. (only to be pulled out by me later - just in case.)
Still not quite sure what the candles represented but they made my girl happy.
The downer of the party was when Drew put on his party hat and it snapped off and left a huge welt on his face! What a cool kid though, he barely even cried....

and look at his face!!!


Madi got a My Little Pony...

and Drew got a motorcycle. Neither of which have ever been played with since this glorious day, but you will hear no complaining from me - mission accomplished!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

that is great, glad the "party worked"!
what a trooper Drew is, look at his poor face :(

Amy McCown said...

What a great idea. We are losing the paci next week after the grandparents leave, so we may try this. Love the updates.

Jenny said...

What a great way to do that! Too bad my Lauren is a thumb sucker... not so easy to take that away! :) Your kids are adorable!

Blessed said...

C is a thumb sucker too. But, what a great idea and so fun! This post cracked me up. What a fun memory!

We miss yall!!!!! I know you are having a blast though.